Tuesday, February 15, 2011

21st Century Education

I think the most important skills for post-high school life are the ones that help prepare you for everyday life. Like communication,writing, and social interactions. I think we are getting taught these skills in high-school but i don't think we are really developing them. Yes, teachers show us how to write proper essays or do the math equation right but our we really learning it? I say no. Do we ever really remember how to do the things we were taught the next year? or even at the end of a semester? Even teachers know this, why do you think we always do review at the beginning of each year! I think we definitely remember some things we are taught but when we are taught them just for the test or for and exam we don't really retain the information, because our minds are set on learning it just for the test of exam. Not for an extended period of time. But if you learn something in a fun interactive way, or learn something that you know will help you in life, then you are more likely to retain the information. Which i don't think happens a lot in schools today. Students are forced to learn things that don't help us in out lives at all, like learning algebra or how to use a periodic table. Who's really going to use that, that isn't going into chemistry or math in university? Not a whole lot of people. So truthfully i think we are developing some of the important life skills in high-school but i definitely think we will finish learning them in the real world. I think the perfect school would be where you could come in and learn things that apply to what you want to do with the rest of your life. That is what they are trying to prepare us for right? so why are we learning all this pointless side stuff that is you are never going to use. I think that a perfect school would be where you got to pick courses that specialized in something you love to do. And even if you went into school not knowing what you wanted to do, taking courses and learning things would help you decide what you wanted to do! seeing things that you liked or hated would help you decide on that one thing you found out you loved. So basically my perfect school would be decided what i wanted. And not doing something, just for the sake of learning it and acing the test, knowing that i am never going to use or even remember it after. Next year, much to the disagreement of my parents, I am taking a year off. I know what I want to do with my life, but I'm not ready to fully commit to it. So whats the point in going to school when you are not fully prepared or your hearts not really there. I am planning on working and saving up for school, but I am also planning on moving away and living in Coquitlam or renting an apartment with friends in Penticton. Even though I am taking a year off i am definitely planning on going to school right after. I am planning on going to Douglas College in Coquitlam to become a vet technician.

No comments:

Post a Comment